I had a mamma ask me how to make spaghetti sauce home made. It’s SUPER easy and there is TONS of room for experimentation and customization! My mother makes it with mushrooms in it but I hate mushrooms so I leave them out. Are you a vegetarian? Just use veggie stock instead of chicken!
Anyway here is my personal recipe. Be warned this makes a HUGE batch. I have enough for 4-5 large meals easily.
- 4 (28 ounce cans) of tomato paste
- 2 (28 ounce cans) of tomato puree/sauce
- 2 (15 ounce cans) of stewed tomatoes
- 2 (28 ounce cans) of peeled ground tomatoes
- 2 (14.5) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper (I like to use a little of each color but you can use just green or any other color)
- 1 quart of chicken broth or stock (I have used both veggie and beef as well, both work but change the flavor slightly, I just usually have chicken stock more then the other two)
- 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Basil 2 tbsp of fresh/frozen basil- I buy the tube in the produce section and freeze it to use as needed. Dried basil just doesn’t cut it for me. (Here is the tube I get from Haggen)
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of parsley
- 1 tsp of rosemary
Put everything into a VERY large pot and mix together well. Cook on stove on LOW all day. Store overnight in the fridge and bag up into plastic bags or mason jars based on what your family will eat in a sitting and freeze. Stores very well for 2-3 months in a freezer. This batch usually lasts my family about a month!